Overdue Update
So, I guess it’s been a while since I updated. I even had a friend emailing me wondering where I’ve been. Well, here’s a quick snapshot:
On the work front, I am hitting another busy point. Here’s why:
1) A new guy has started in the finance office. I am hopeful that he will eventually be able to replace me, but for now, I have to do a lot of teaching and training.
2) One of the key members of my staff went to South Africa for a checkup, as she had breast cancer last year. Unfortunately, the cancer has returned, and she is staying in SA for treatment. Naturally, I have concern for a friend and colleague, and hope and pray (and covet your prayers) for a successful recovery for her. Unfortunately, the practical reality is that my four person office is back down to 3 (including the new trainee), so I’m learning her job on the fly, while doing my job and trying to train the new guy. It’s keeping me crazy busy, but at least the days are flying by (I hate it when work is slow, cuz the time can just drag)
3) Many of my expatriate friends have left or are leaving in the next couple of weeks, so I’ve been busy saying goodbye, having goodbye parties. It’s been a good social period, so I’m not complaining. As I said to Leslie, I guess I’ve been to busy living life to stop and write about it.
4) I’m just in the process of moving in with my boss and his wife, who are going back to Canada in a few weeks, and I’m going to house sit for them (and take good care of their satellite TV) :) Of course, moving is not that hard when you are constantly conscious of being able to fit all of your possessions into two 70 lb bags.
So, my time to update blogs has been quite limited, and the energy it takes to write things down has been more limited (veg time has been much needed and appreciated) But there’s the quick update. Now, here’s a few highlights of my last couple weeks:
- saw Mulange Mountain, the biggest mountain in Malawi, for the first time. Didn’t bother climbing it, but the sight was pretty awesome.
- Did some more snorkeling with the African cichlids in the lake. That’s still one of the coolest things I’ve done here
- Watched Tiger win the British Open, and Federer win Wimbledon. Will these two go down as the best ever in their sports?
- Had a good send off for my friend Paul, who is going back to be a pastor in the US after 8 years here. I’ll miss him on the squash court, and when any major sporting event comes on (and any time I want a really good meal)
- Played a lot of online poker to wind the brain down. And online chess. Now, how is it that I find it hard to get a blog entry? I guess cuz when I’m tired and stressed, I tend to write a lot less.
Well, that’s enough for now. Hope all is well in your part of the world. I’d love to hear from you if I haven’t in a while (or even if I have) I promise I will respond, even if it takes some time.
On the work front, I am hitting another busy point. Here’s why:
1) A new guy has started in the finance office. I am hopeful that he will eventually be able to replace me, but for now, I have to do a lot of teaching and training.
2) One of the key members of my staff went to South Africa for a checkup, as she had breast cancer last year. Unfortunately, the cancer has returned, and she is staying in SA for treatment. Naturally, I have concern for a friend and colleague, and hope and pray (and covet your prayers) for a successful recovery for her. Unfortunately, the practical reality is that my four person office is back down to 3 (including the new trainee), so I’m learning her job on the fly, while doing my job and trying to train the new guy. It’s keeping me crazy busy, but at least the days are flying by (I hate it when work is slow, cuz the time can just drag)
3) Many of my expatriate friends have left or are leaving in the next couple of weeks, so I’ve been busy saying goodbye, having goodbye parties. It’s been a good social period, so I’m not complaining. As I said to Leslie, I guess I’ve been to busy living life to stop and write about it.
4) I’m just in the process of moving in with my boss and his wife, who are going back to Canada in a few weeks, and I’m going to house sit for them (and take good care of their satellite TV) :) Of course, moving is not that hard when you are constantly conscious of being able to fit all of your possessions into two 70 lb bags.
So, my time to update blogs has been quite limited, and the energy it takes to write things down has been more limited (veg time has been much needed and appreciated) But there’s the quick update. Now, here’s a few highlights of my last couple weeks:
- saw Mulange Mountain, the biggest mountain in Malawi, for the first time. Didn’t bother climbing it, but the sight was pretty awesome.
- Did some more snorkeling with the African cichlids in the lake. That’s still one of the coolest things I’ve done here
- Watched Tiger win the British Open, and Federer win Wimbledon. Will these two go down as the best ever in their sports?
- Had a good send off for my friend Paul, who is going back to be a pastor in the US after 8 years here. I’ll miss him on the squash court, and when any major sporting event comes on (and any time I want a really good meal)
- Played a lot of online poker to wind the brain down. And online chess. Now, how is it that I find it hard to get a blog entry? I guess cuz when I’m tired and stressed, I tend to write a lot less.
Well, that’s enough for now. Hope all is well in your part of the world. I’d love to hear from you if I haven’t in a while (or even if I have) I promise I will respond, even if it takes some time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home