Wow, it's been a month!
Looking at the date of my last entry, I can’t believe I haven’t updated my blog in a month. Well, let’s see. What have I been up to? Work wise, I’ve been quite busy , but not with much that is newsworthy. Spreadsheets and financial statements aren’t all that fun to yap about.
I had a long weekend early in May, for Labour Day of all things. No long weekend this weekend. No love for the queen over here, I guess. Hope everyone enjoyed their May long weekend at home.
A couple of weekends ago, we went up to the lake for our annual retreat. I co led the worship music on keyboard and guitar, which was pretty cool. I also beat my boss and the pastor from the visiting ministry team at golf on our afternoon off, which was fun. It was nice to just relax on the beach for a couple of days as well.
It is beginning to cool down here, as we head into our “winter” By cool I mean that I occasionally have to put on pants or sweaters (which I must remember to call “trousers and jerseys”….good to see the British influence taking hold over here) as it drops to the teens at night. I don’t know how I’m going to put up with a Canadian winter again.
Other than that, it’s been business as usual. Squash, tennis, socializing, working, eating, and sleeping. I stumbled across some thai green curry sauce that I’m going to be trying out this week, which is quite exciting for me. I really miss thai food.
Now, for the rundown of films I’ve seen recently, rated on a 5 star scale:
The Good:
1) Walk the Line – I don’t know much about the real Johnny Cash, though I do own his last album. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish. I thought the acting was good, the story was good, and it was good overall. Joaquim Phoenix certainly made up for that horribly wooden performance in Ladder 49, and regained the status of promising actor that he earned in Gladiator. Not as good as Ray, but as music documentaries go I would say it is well worth watching. In fact, if you are a fan of music documentaries, I recommend you check out a movie called “Bird”, about the life of Charlie Parker. Some people call it slow, but I think it is an amazing movie. Anyhow, as for Walk the Line, definitely a film worth watching. – 4 stars
The mediocre:
2) The Transporter – nothing special here, but a pretty decent action film that pretty much delivered what I was looking for. A nice car chase, a few nicely choreographed fights (though I’ll have to consult my double black belt friend Dave on the believability), fairly solid. – 2.5 stars
3) Oceans 12 – I remember seeing this in theatres, and being very disappointed. However, I was disappointed in Oceans 11 when I first saw it, and have since come to rather enjoy it. My main criticisms of Oceans 11 were that it really didn’t seem to add anything new to the genre of heist films, and it completely wasted Matt Damon’s time and talent. But on repeat viewings, while it wouldn’t make any top lists in my book, it is an enjoyable film. So, I thought I’d give the sequel another chance. Well, it gave me plenty of good laughs, but I was more laughing at the lines than laughing about the jokes. But it was a solid waste of 2 hours. I still hold to my original assessment of the film. If you’re looking for a script, a good story, good acting, this is not the movie for you. If you are looking for a bunch of beautiful, high profile actors enjoying a vacation overseas, and just want a couple of laughs, this movie is perfect. – 2 stars
The not so good:
4) The 40 year old virgin – Not a terrible film, but not all that great either. There were a few laughs, but overall I didn’t find much in this one. And no, it’s not cuz I don’t like this type of humour. I thought “The Wedding Crashers” was hilarious. But I know ppl who thought this movie was just as funny. To each his own, I guess. – 1.5 stars
The ugly:
5) White Chicks – first off, I must state that I did not watch this movie in its entirety. I was idly flipping through the channels one day (I believe I’ve mentioned before, but my boss has satellite TV from South Africa, so we get a few movie channels), and I decided to take in a couple minutes of White Chicks, just to find out if it was as bad as it seemed. Well, the scene I happened to catch was of two supermodels laying on the beach. Here is roughly what they said:
Idiot #1 (holding a magazine): Did you read this article about these starving children in Africa. (pauses and frowns)…..Why can’t I be that thin?
Idiot #2: Oh honey, don’t worry. They can’t wear belly button rings with those bloated stomachs.
I wish I was making this up. Actually, no I don’t. I wish someone else was NOT making this up.
I had a long weekend early in May, for Labour Day of all things. No long weekend this weekend. No love for the queen over here, I guess. Hope everyone enjoyed their May long weekend at home.
A couple of weekends ago, we went up to the lake for our annual retreat. I co led the worship music on keyboard and guitar, which was pretty cool. I also beat my boss and the pastor from the visiting ministry team at golf on our afternoon off, which was fun. It was nice to just relax on the beach for a couple of days as well.
It is beginning to cool down here, as we head into our “winter” By cool I mean that I occasionally have to put on pants or sweaters (which I must remember to call “trousers and jerseys”….good to see the British influence taking hold over here) as it drops to the teens at night. I don’t know how I’m going to put up with a Canadian winter again.
Other than that, it’s been business as usual. Squash, tennis, socializing, working, eating, and sleeping. I stumbled across some thai green curry sauce that I’m going to be trying out this week, which is quite exciting for me. I really miss thai food.
Now, for the rundown of films I’ve seen recently, rated on a 5 star scale:
The Good:
1) Walk the Line – I don’t know much about the real Johnny Cash, though I do own his last album. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish. I thought the acting was good, the story was good, and it was good overall. Joaquim Phoenix certainly made up for that horribly wooden performance in Ladder 49, and regained the status of promising actor that he earned in Gladiator. Not as good as Ray, but as music documentaries go I would say it is well worth watching. In fact, if you are a fan of music documentaries, I recommend you check out a movie called “Bird”, about the life of Charlie Parker. Some people call it slow, but I think it is an amazing movie. Anyhow, as for Walk the Line, definitely a film worth watching. – 4 stars
The mediocre:
2) The Transporter – nothing special here, but a pretty decent action film that pretty much delivered what I was looking for. A nice car chase, a few nicely choreographed fights (though I’ll have to consult my double black belt friend Dave on the believability), fairly solid. – 2.5 stars
3) Oceans 12 – I remember seeing this in theatres, and being very disappointed. However, I was disappointed in Oceans 11 when I first saw it, and have since come to rather enjoy it. My main criticisms of Oceans 11 were that it really didn’t seem to add anything new to the genre of heist films, and it completely wasted Matt Damon’s time and talent. But on repeat viewings, while it wouldn’t make any top lists in my book, it is an enjoyable film. So, I thought I’d give the sequel another chance. Well, it gave me plenty of good laughs, but I was more laughing at the lines than laughing about the jokes. But it was a solid waste of 2 hours. I still hold to my original assessment of the film. If you’re looking for a script, a good story, good acting, this is not the movie for you. If you are looking for a bunch of beautiful, high profile actors enjoying a vacation overseas, and just want a couple of laughs, this movie is perfect. – 2 stars
The not so good:
4) The 40 year old virgin – Not a terrible film, but not all that great either. There were a few laughs, but overall I didn’t find much in this one. And no, it’s not cuz I don’t like this type of humour. I thought “The Wedding Crashers” was hilarious. But I know ppl who thought this movie was just as funny. To each his own, I guess. – 1.5 stars
The ugly:
5) White Chicks – first off, I must state that I did not watch this movie in its entirety. I was idly flipping through the channels one day (I believe I’ve mentioned before, but my boss has satellite TV from South Africa, so we get a few movie channels), and I decided to take in a couple minutes of White Chicks, just to find out if it was as bad as it seemed. Well, the scene I happened to catch was of two supermodels laying on the beach. Here is roughly what they said:
Idiot #1 (holding a magazine): Did you read this article about these starving children in Africa. (pauses and frowns)…..Why can’t I be that thin?
Idiot #2: Oh honey, don’t worry. They can’t wear belly button rings with those bloated stomachs.
I wish I was making this up. Actually, no I don’t. I wish someone else was NOT making this up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home