Malawian Adventures

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving/Mothers Day?

Hello all. As strange coincidence would have it, Mother’s Day is a holiday in Malawi, and happens to fall on the weekend of Canadian Thanksgiving. So, I was treated to a long weekend, and a lovely Thanksgiving dinner with my boss, a number of other Canadian natives, and a few other random coworkers and friends. I’m really not certain what Canadian Thanksgiving symbolizes (I was asking around yesterday, and the theories seemed to be that it was Thanksgiving for the harvest, which is why it’s earlier than the US, but my boss theorized that we’re thankful that we’re not Americans.) Either way, we had a great feast. Ham, turkey (well, maybe it was chicken, I don’t really remember, but it was good), potatoes, lots of veggies, and some great apple pie for dessert. And as luck would have it, there was a replay of the Sunday night NFL game on Monday afternoon, so I got to watch some American football with my meal. Just like home. Anyhow, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family, and that the fall weather is treating you well. I’m getting all set to send some mocking emails in mid February from the golf course or the beach.

Speaking of mocking, how bout those Maple Leafs? Good to see Montreal off to their best start in a long time. Not that I expect them to go anywhere, and not that beating this year’s version of the Leafs is all that much to get excited about, but I had to throw it in there. I love getting email, even hate mail, and I expect a few from this. And for you football fans, stop the 49er jokes. I know they’re terrible, you know they’re terrible, even they know they’re terrible. Leave it alone. At least I’m loyal. I don’t remember seeing a lot of Patriots fans back when San Fran was winning Super Bowls.

Anyhow, before I lose you non sports fans, here is what I was up to this weekend. I decided not to go to the lake (despite a lot of taunting from Rachel and Daniel), because they were leaving early Saturday morning, and after last week, I needed a day to sleep in. It’s year end here at the office, so I was a bit tired by the end of the week, and really needed the rest. Plus, the it’s ridiculously hot up by the lake this time of year, and anyone that was with me in India knows I don’t take well to intense heat. Even the thought of cooling off in the lake wasn’t sweetening the deal. I’m going there in February, after the rains have cooled it down to a reasonable temperature (ie 20s and 30s instead of 40s) Enjoy the snow and -20 degrees. As much as I’ll miss Christmas, I will not miss freezing temperatures even a little bit, I reckon. Anyhow, instead of the lake, I did some relaxing around here. Stopped by the office on Saturday to look over a report for my boss (but mainly to catch my weekly viewing of ESPN Sportscentre that keeps me somewhat up to date on the sports world). Then I headed off to the market to get a pair of pants (pardon me, I should say “trousers” altered into shorts, since they had a big rip in the leg that I had forgotten about when I packed them. That’s ok though. They actually didn’t do a bad job on them, and it only cost me a couple dollars, so it was good. Had to bargain for a few vegetables and stuff, and cooked up a bunch of stuff that I could freeze and eat this week. Sunday, Mike and Charles and I went golfing on a much better golf course about an hour away. It even had real greens. It was about on the level of a low end golf course in Canada. I didn’t shoot a lot better (I think the clubs are defective :) ), but I enjoyed it more. Then we played some volleyball in the afternoon, and Mike and I got in a little more poker, to continue our ongoing rivalry. On Monday, I played some squash, and then headed over for the aforementioned Thanksgiving dinner. All in all, a good weekend, with a nice balance of relaxing and having fun things to do. Getting up early and going to bed early (and having it get dark at 6 PM) still takes getting used to sometimes, but it’s all good. Speaking of time, will someone let me know when Daylight savings time happens in Canada? Cuz we don’t change the clocks here, so I’ll be 7 hours ahead instead of 6. Anyhow, let me know.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, and enjoy the upcoming short week. Be well, and continue to be thankful, even if you don’t know what the holiday is for. Yes, I remember the Mayflower and the pilgrims, but that was the Americans, wasn’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home