Malawian Adventures

Friday, September 16, 2005

The weekend ahead

So, another week is coming to an end. I’ve figured out how to do one of our more complex financial reports, so I’m rewarding myself with a break to write to you all. It’s Friday morning, and the weekend is close at hand. This afternoon, I will be leaving early to get involved with a childrens’ ministry. I’m not sure what will all be involved, but I think there will be some fun and games and music, and some teaching as well. I’m not sure what all I will be called on to do, but it should be a good adventure.

I got to play some more squash with another guy from the office, and scheduled a game for Monday night with a guy I met from Australia. I love the game since it’s a great workout and far more entertaining than just running. I hope to get some clay court tennis and some golf in sometime soon.

I’ve discovered that they replay the Monday Night Football game on Tuesday afternoons here on satellite, so it’s possible that I’m going to get my football fix in most weeks, as long as I can use my boss’s TV on Tuesday evenings to catch the end. I may be able to get a TV for my place, but I’m not sure I want one. I’ve been getting a lot of reading done, and I’m really enjoying getting into books lately. Plus, I haven’t been home all that much. And I know if I have a TV I’ll watch whatever’s on (when I was staying with my boss, I saw some of the poorest movies I’ve ever seen that were coming from the UK satellite)

Oh, we had a brief change in the weather yesterday. It was actually overcast for about 2 hours in the morning. But, it was quickly back to sunny and warm. It makes it hard to keep track of days, and September is quickly evaporating. In some ways, the time is flying, and in other ways, I can’t believe I’ve only been here a month considering all I’ve taken in.

Foodwise, I’ve loving not having the option to just go grab the nearest take out I can. It’s forcing me to revive some half dead cooking skills, and learn some new ones. I made spaghetti sauce using crushed tomatoes as a base, since all the tomato sauce around here is ketchup like. And I actually made fresh squeezed juice the other night. It was great with breakfast this morning. I went to Blantyre (the biggest city in Malawi) the other day and stocked up on groceries. It has a grocery store that is a lot like supermarkets in Canada, except with not quite as much selection. And some comforts from home are pretty expensive, so I treat myself with some things occasionally, and learn to work with what’s available cheaply the rest of the time. My goal is to eat for under $25 a week, which I could do easily if I stuck to the basics, and probably will as I wean myself off of some of the luxuries. For example, rice is so much cheaper than potatoes, tomatoes are way cheaper than peppers and such. But I’ll find the good balance in time. It’s nice that I’m already considering a luxury some of what I would take for granted in Canada. I think in North America, we tend to take for granted so very much we don’t even realize it anymore. Our standard of living is just not sustainable worldwide. But I am beginning to discover that the absence of some of these material comforts replaced by the presence of feeling happy in one’s job and life, and contented with one’s circumstances, leads to much greater happiness and fulfilment. When you gather much, you much expend much time and effort trying to protect what you have. When you are content with little, it frees you up to pursue your heart’s desire.

Well, enough philosophy for today. Be well, have a wonderful weekend, and keep in touch. For those of you that are the praying type, I have a request. I discovered last night that some close friends have 3 sponsor children in Blantyre. I would love somehow to be able to meet these children on their behalf and bless them. Pray that this will take place sometime over the next few months. I am certain that if it is meant to happen, that it will work out.

Thank God for today.

Oh yeah, and one other thing. It was my mom’s birthday the other day. I tried to reach her by phone, and I think I got through to the answering machine but I’m not sure if she got the message. Either way, Happy Birthday, Mom. I’ll talk to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home