Malawian Adventures

Friday, August 26, 2005

Future Gazing

So, part of this year away is a time to look forward and figure out what I want to do next. I have decided to not make any decisions on this until I’ve been here a few months and can give it an honest assessment, but as of today, here is what I see my options to be. Of course, I temper this with the fact that I was in this position a few months ago, and going to Africa for a year was nowhere near my list, and yet here I am. So I am open to suggestion, or a feeling of being led. That said, here are a few options, in random order:

1. Stay here for longer than a year
2. Come back to Canada in a year, get a TESL certificate, and go join Colin in Mexico where I can teach English
3. Same as above, but teaching English elsewhere.
4. Find a position in the bank more suited to my interests (ie analyst)
5. Go back to school to get some form of math degree and find a job more suited to my main skills
It’s this last one that intrigues me a bit, and I would love to do more research, but the Net is expensive here, so I wonder if I can rely on someone who may know a bit about this or has the time to check the U of Waterloo website (or other math schools, but I assume U of W is one of the best) to get me some info on the following:

1) With an undergraduate degree in Honours Business, am I eligible to enter some form of Masters degree in applied math, or would I need to go the undergraduate route
2) What are the different math degrees that are available?
3) What are the common jobs available for graduates?
4) What is the application process for mature students?

This is really just an exploratory thing for me, as part of an ongoing process in my life to sort through interests to see if there is a career (I’ve looked at the music industry as a producer or manager, sports industry as broadcaster or stats man (which I haven’t ruled out, journalism, etc., but haven’t found the perfect fit yet) The last time I remember working really hard at something was math in high school (yes, I was a geek), and it is a gift and passion that I need to take a look at. Plus, I’ve always planned on teaching, but I’d like to start teaching at 40 or so and retire from it, so getting some math training would help me to be qualified to teach eventually, and probably get me a better and more interesting job in the meantime. But like I say, it’s really just a hypothetical. Any info you could pass my way would be great. If you’re reading this, you probably have my email, but if not, leave me a comment and I’ll get in touch with you.

Have a great day, and thanks again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home