A further note on similarities and differences
In looking through my last entry on how humans are the same in a lot of ways, I failed to really emphasize some of the real problems that are present over here. One of the things I said was that Canadians are able to avoid many problems because we are so resource rich. Here in Malawi, this is certainly not the case. Access to clean water is difficult, which contributes to all sorts of disease issues that we don’t face in Canada.
Many of the problems involve interconnections I would not have even thought of. Firing bricks requires a lot of wood, and this is resulting in a lot of tree cutting and causing shortages of trees in some areas. Cutting trees around water results in increased run off into the water, polluting the water source. I am just scratching the surface, but this is one example. Another one is considering the AIDS epidemic. As I mentioned, we are involved in empowering local communities to be able to farm their own land, maintain their wells and water sources, etc. However, if the members of the community that were taught these things get wiped out by AIDS before they are able to pass on this knowledge, then we are back at square one. AIDS is wiping out much of the educated middle age, leaving young children and older people.
Understand that I only have the faintest grasp on this, so my knowledge of it is only slight at this point, but this is what I see so far. Part of my reason for coming here was to learn a bit more about what is really happening here. I wish to widen my worldview. There are many examples of interconnectedness all around. In Canada, an example would be examining the consequences of importing fruits and vegetables so that we can have them year round. I cannot even begin to grasp the larger question of how Western living is contributing to the problems that developing countries are facing. When I talked about the rich, it is because I see mostly rich people living in a big city. But it is only a very small percentage of the country. The majority of this country does indeed live in a poverty that is foreign to Canadians.
Certainly, I have plenty to learn. I am so thankful that I have this opportunity to see things and learn things that were not even important to me a few years ago, but are helping me to broaden my worldview. Considering how my life and my way of living impacts others is a question that I will spend the rest of my life answering.
Many of the problems involve interconnections I would not have even thought of. Firing bricks requires a lot of wood, and this is resulting in a lot of tree cutting and causing shortages of trees in some areas. Cutting trees around water results in increased run off into the water, polluting the water source. I am just scratching the surface, but this is one example. Another one is considering the AIDS epidemic. As I mentioned, we are involved in empowering local communities to be able to farm their own land, maintain their wells and water sources, etc. However, if the members of the community that were taught these things get wiped out by AIDS before they are able to pass on this knowledge, then we are back at square one. AIDS is wiping out much of the educated middle age, leaving young children and older people.
Understand that I only have the faintest grasp on this, so my knowledge of it is only slight at this point, but this is what I see so far. Part of my reason for coming here was to learn a bit more about what is really happening here. I wish to widen my worldview. There are many examples of interconnectedness all around. In Canada, an example would be examining the consequences of importing fruits and vegetables so that we can have them year round. I cannot even begin to grasp the larger question of how Western living is contributing to the problems that developing countries are facing. When I talked about the rich, it is because I see mostly rich people living in a big city. But it is only a very small percentage of the country. The majority of this country does indeed live in a poverty that is foreign to Canadians.
Certainly, I have plenty to learn. I am so thankful that I have this opportunity to see things and learn things that were not even important to me a few years ago, but are helping me to broaden my worldview. Considering how my life and my way of living impacts others is a question that I will spend the rest of my life answering.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home