Malawian Adventures

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

38 hours to go....

Hey,

Just thought I'd take a moment to post a note of thanks to all of you who responded to my mass email. Your words of encouragement mean a lot, and were a nice break in the midst of the stress of packing.

So, what have I been up to besides packing and getting ready? I've been leaving Canada in style. Saying goodbye to friends and family, and getting in a few last fun things. On Sunday, I played my last round of golf for quite a while I imagine. Apparantly, there is some form of crude golf course in the city I'll be going to, but my clubs don't quite make the cut with all the baggage restrictions. Fortunately, I am able to take my guitar. As much as I'll miss my piano, it will be cool to learn a new instrument.

On Monday, I got to travel with Colin down to Stratford to see Dayna Manning play. If you don't know who this is, and you like folk rock, you should check her out at www.myspace.com/daynamanning Great voice, great songwriter, great heart, and is loyal to the fans. She had to play in a bandshell on Monday with no amplification, and though only people within 15 feet could hear her, she rocked.

Last night, I left the Canadian concert scene in style, and switched gears a little bit. I came down to London to catch The Tea Party (I get new people every day that make the connection between this band I've seen 15 times live, and my email address), who opened up for Def Leppard. A bit of an odd pairing, but when you put the best live act in the world (IMO) with a nostalgia band from the 80s, good times are had by all. Big shout out to Dave, who agreed to go, even though he didn't know much Def Leppard (but really, how many of you out there know more than one of their songs?)

Now, I've just got some packing to finish up. I was going through the pile of information I gathered from my month of training at Tyndale and Emmanuel. So much information that I hope I will be able to access at the right times to help me in my travels. Yet the memories that stick out the most are games of poker, pool, and games of keep away in the swimming pool with my fellow trainees. If you guys are reading this, I miss you and hope to talk to you, if not see you, on the other continent.

Well, that's about it. I fly out tomorrow night, so if I don't see you before then, I'll see you when I get back. Except for those crazy few who say they're stopping by Malawi. It is a beautiful place to go.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    I'm stopping by Malawi! Okay, I'd like to stop by Malawi, but I already looked into the cost of airfare and it's prohibitively expensive. Like $5K. Perhaps I could swim there...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home