Quick Update - swimming with the fishes
Dec 5
Once again, it seems a couple weeks have passed. Our Internet has been down at the office, so I haven’t had a chance to update. Things are going well, but busy as usual. The rains have started, but it’s still plenty warm and humid on the days that the rains aren’t here. Leads to lots of napping. Finally got back onto the golf course this weekend after a bit of a break. Got to get ready for a game in Blantyre next weekend on a real course. A bunch of the people I met at the beach the week before all came down to Zomba this past weekend, so I got to finally put the space in my house to good use by hosting 6 people on Saturday night. Christmas plans are still coming together. Have I ever mentioned how I hate coordinating details like buses, hotel rooms, travel plans, when and where to meet, visas, etc.? Add to that the Malawian way of complications and language barriers, and instability of bus companies, and it just adds to the frustration. But I’m sure it will all come together and be worth it. And no toque and gloves, which is great.
Nov 28th
Well, I had one of my Malawian highlights on the weekend: snorkeling in amongst the beautiful African cichlids I had previously only seen in fish tanks in Canada. It was a truly awesome experience. I learned how to catch them barehanded as well. I was going to take one home to keep in a tank, but fish keeping isn’t exactly a common Malawian hobby, so supplies aren’t readily available. So I’m going to take my dad’s humane advice and leave them in the lake where they belong. But I may have to stop by and visit again, and somehow get an underwater camera to take some pictures.
Anyhow, I got this wonderful fish viewing experience as part of my first visit to Cape McLear, a tourist destination along the shore of Lake Malawi. The beach was beautiful, and mercifully was not nearly as hot as I thought it might be, though I stuck mostly to the shade. Overall, a great place to visit, and a nice way to spend a couple of days away. Swimming with the fish, having some fire grilled chambo (the most common eating fish in Malawi) for lunch, relaxing waterside with a book and some music or just hanging out with friends. It was great.
Oh, and it looks like the rains are coming, and with them, hopefully a break in the heat. But mainly I pray for good rains so that we can somehow get a good harvest that will go some way toward helping the many hungry people. After all, that’s what I’m here for.
Once again, it seems a couple weeks have passed. Our Internet has been down at the office, so I haven’t had a chance to update. Things are going well, but busy as usual. The rains have started, but it’s still plenty warm and humid on the days that the rains aren’t here. Leads to lots of napping. Finally got back onto the golf course this weekend after a bit of a break. Got to get ready for a game in Blantyre next weekend on a real course. A bunch of the people I met at the beach the week before all came down to Zomba this past weekend, so I got to finally put the space in my house to good use by hosting 6 people on Saturday night. Christmas plans are still coming together. Have I ever mentioned how I hate coordinating details like buses, hotel rooms, travel plans, when and where to meet, visas, etc.? Add to that the Malawian way of complications and language barriers, and instability of bus companies, and it just adds to the frustration. But I’m sure it will all come together and be worth it. And no toque and gloves, which is great.
Nov 28th
Well, I had one of my Malawian highlights on the weekend: snorkeling in amongst the beautiful African cichlids I had previously only seen in fish tanks in Canada. It was a truly awesome experience. I learned how to catch them barehanded as well. I was going to take one home to keep in a tank, but fish keeping isn’t exactly a common Malawian hobby, so supplies aren’t readily available. So I’m going to take my dad’s humane advice and leave them in the lake where they belong. But I may have to stop by and visit again, and somehow get an underwater camera to take some pictures.
Anyhow, I got this wonderful fish viewing experience as part of my first visit to Cape McLear, a tourist destination along the shore of Lake Malawi. The beach was beautiful, and mercifully was not nearly as hot as I thought it might be, though I stuck mostly to the shade. Overall, a great place to visit, and a nice way to spend a couple of days away. Swimming with the fish, having some fire grilled chambo (the most common eating fish in Malawi) for lunch, relaxing waterside with a book and some music or just hanging out with friends. It was great.
Oh, and it looks like the rains are coming, and with them, hopefully a break in the heat. But mainly I pray for good rains so that we can somehow get a good harvest that will go some way toward helping the many hungry people. After all, that’s what I’m here for.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home