Belated Post
I wrote this post November 15th, but haven’t had a chance to post it until now. Things have been quite busy. I will try to get a posting up later explaining what else I’ve been up to.
Another warm, sunny day here in Malawi. It’s definitely hot, but I’m still able to be active outdoors and not feel too bad. I played 3 sets of tennis on Saturday, and played 9 holes of golf on Friday and Sunday. Got my first birdie in Malawi on Friday. Actually, in the foursome I played with, we had 2 birdies and 2 pars on that hole, which was pretty incredible. Sunday, I played my best round yet here. The courses require me to play the game slightly differently, since the ground is dry and the ball rolls like crazy. But it’s all an adjustment.
I’ve been slowly learning how to drive standard and to deal with the pedestrian traffic on Malawian roads. I may soon be through with lessons and able to drive on my own. There are many hills, which makes learning standard here quite challenging. But with the rains coming, it will beat walking.
I bought a few DVDs in the market for around $6 each. Kind of like renting from Blockbuster. Nothing phenomenal, but a few light escapes from life. It’s nice to have less technology around here, but it’s also a nice treat to watch a movie from time to time.
Well, like I said, not much new going on here. But life is good. None of us have constant adventure, but even in my normal days, I’m still learning about a new culture, enjoying a new climate, learning what it’s like to live as a visible minority, and knowing that my work is helping a country in need. Not a bad deal at all. I miss people from home, and I was saddened to hear of some of the struggles my family has had to deal with recently. I hope and pray that all works out for the best, and that the upcoming holiday season brings some good tidings. Until next time…
Another warm, sunny day here in Malawi. It’s definitely hot, but I’m still able to be active outdoors and not feel too bad. I played 3 sets of tennis on Saturday, and played 9 holes of golf on Friday and Sunday. Got my first birdie in Malawi on Friday. Actually, in the foursome I played with, we had 2 birdies and 2 pars on that hole, which was pretty incredible. Sunday, I played my best round yet here. The courses require me to play the game slightly differently, since the ground is dry and the ball rolls like crazy. But it’s all an adjustment.
I’ve been slowly learning how to drive standard and to deal with the pedestrian traffic on Malawian roads. I may soon be through with lessons and able to drive on my own. There are many hills, which makes learning standard here quite challenging. But with the rains coming, it will beat walking.
I bought a few DVDs in the market for around $6 each. Kind of like renting from Blockbuster. Nothing phenomenal, but a few light escapes from life. It’s nice to have less technology around here, but it’s also a nice treat to watch a movie from time to time.
Well, like I said, not much new going on here. But life is good. None of us have constant adventure, but even in my normal days, I’m still learning about a new culture, enjoying a new climate, learning what it’s like to live as a visible minority, and knowing that my work is helping a country in need. Not a bad deal at all. I miss people from home, and I was saddened to hear of some of the struggles my family has had to deal with recently. I hope and pray that all works out for the best, and that the upcoming holiday season brings some good tidings. Until next time…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home