Malawian Adventures

Friday, December 16, 2005

Helping the homeless in Toronto

Hello all. So, one of my big struggles in Canada was knowing how to respond in a Godly manner to those impoverished people I would pass on the street every day, asking for money or some other sort of assistance. Now, I was generally convinced of a few things, for better or worse. 1) These people needed help. 2) The help they were asking for was not often the help they truly needed, and some realized it, and some didn’t. 3) I am not qualified to give the help that many of them need.

As for my response, I am faced with the scripture that says “Give to everyone who asks you.” But I am also convinced that just tossing some money at someone on the street will likely make me feel better, but probably hasn’t helped them. Now, I’ve heard two schools of thought from people who have first hand experience at places that work to help the homeless. The first response is “Never give money.” The rationale is that the money will in all likelihood not be used for the person’s long term betterment. On the other side, I’ve heard the argument “This person’s days are harder than I could possibly imagine, and certainly harder than my days, so if they wish to buy a drink and that provides them some semblance of happiness in their day, I don’t mind helping with that.” Now, both arguments seem good, but it still bothered me that I felt I wasn’t really helping these people. I’m also certain that they need Jesus just as much as every other lost person, but as James says, if we just walk by and say “God bless you” but do nothing to help the person in need, then we have done nothing. I believe the best context for evangelism is in the context of relationship with the individual, which can only be built by spending time with the person and talking with them. So I have talked with homeless people. I have taken them out for meals if I had the time. Every once in a while I have broken through and found areas that they would allow me to pray through with them. But usually, my buying food would result in them saying “Thanks very much, but can you spare me some cash?” I know they have needs, and I’m not certain giving them a few dollars is going to help their needs.

Anyhow, this is my story of frustration. I have often thought of one simple solution that I would like to float by some discerning minds. Each person on the street has identifiable needs. What I think would be useful is something like a card that could show contact information of each of these needs. If they ask for money, ask them what they need. If they express a genuine need, show them where they can get it. Have a card that lists reputable shelters for those seeking a warm bed, lists soup kitchens and food banks for those needing a good meal, lists rehab or detox centers for those needing assistance with substance abuse problems. These are the common problems I run into, but I’m sure there are others. If we notice a problem and there isn’t a good place they can turn for a solution, then we do what we can to create the solution. I hear the shelters are mismanaged and people are abused, but I know nothing of this firsthand. So we approach our city and explain to them that the costs of poverty and homelessness are greater than the costs of employing some reputable management to run the shelters. Churches all across the city are collecting tithes, and if we could find a way to unite some of these churches, we could build a shelter, or a detox center. Some of these ideas are grand and would take time, and I’ll admit they’re easy to suggest from a million miles away.

But can we start with a simple card? I may be misjudging the response, but I think if I was in need and genuinely seeking help, I would respond favourably to someone who was doing what they could for me and then referring me to others who could help me more than them. I’m not talking about just handing out cards randomly. Engage people. Talk to them. Show that you care. Jesus cared about everybody, and God loves us all, but He can only help us when we admit that we need His help. If you genuinely try to show love to someone, and they don’t receive it, then pray that God will soften their hearts.
Anyhow, just a few ideas. Anyone interested in looking into this? Compiling a list of places to go for help can probably be done by contributions from our community. I know we have people who are in or have been many levels of social work. Let me know what you think, and if this sparks something in your heart to act, take the idea and run with it. If and when I return, I will offer my hands, but for now I can offer my prayers and ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home